Date:      Sat, 18 Mar 2000 12:32:54 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        John Daniels <jmd526@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-qa@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Need More Info Re: 4.0-RELEASE Install

John Daniels wrote:

> When I startx, I get a message ("could not lookup internet address for
> <domain name of my machine>...").  I believe that the message come from
> Gnome.  I checked my system and I found that my NIC seems to be configured
> and available (as shown by ifconfig).  I have a 3Com905B, which shows up as
> x10 in ifconfig.  My NIC is connected to a Netopia router and I use
> concentric for DSL service.  I installed via ftp so I'm pretty certain that
> on a system level, I should be able to 'ping' or use the NIC.

You _installed_ via ftp. That doesn't mean the network is working
_after_ the install, which is why I suggested the various tests.

> The question is do I need to change gnome configurations, start pppd or
> named (I have inetd running) or some other service, or do I need to change
> Gnome configuration settings (and isn't it a bug if they weren't set by
> ports or sysinstall?)

How should I know? You didn't make the tests I asked...

> I haven't seen anyone else complaining, so I figure that I need to start
> named (or pppd.)  I tried to do this with /stand/sysinstall's postinstall
> option but it didn't appear to work.  Is that a bug?

Why do you say it didn't appear to work? Anyway, starting an
unconfigured named or pppd (or ppp) is not a good idea.

> How can I start named from the system?  Do I just edit the configuration
> file and type 'named' (from root)?  If so, can someone give me some pointers
> on how to edit the named config file since it is a bit confusing.

Better stay away from named.

> Is there something else that I need to do that I am missing?

Yes, you need to:

ping IP of another local area network host
ping IP of a host outside the LAN
nslookup

> FYI: 'localization' needs better documentation.  I don't recall seeing any
> explaination during the install.  Others have recently had trouble with
> localization and I saw a fix for this where a set of 3 'set env..' (for
> US-english key mappings, etc.) commands need to be added to the csh.cshrc
> file.  If 'localization' in the install really does refers to site-specific
> details, then this should be made clear.  If not, then it would appear that
> sysinstall 'localization' is indeed responsible for installing localized
> keymappings, etc, and the fact that it was missing is a bug. (I complained
> about this after RC3)

"local" distribution is not "localization". Localization refers to
adopting a number of standards of some national culture. Local
distribution refers to something you can create on your own to customize
installations. This is for experienced users.

Yes, there is no explanation of what a "local distribution" is during
installation. One would expect users would not install things they do
not know what they are for.

> Also: In my install I was not able to get RSAREF.  I have seen that several
> people have had problems with the new rsa/crypto/security in 4.0, and I
> would like to avoid that now, rather than stumble over it later.
>
> I looked for the local and RSAREF distributions within /stand/sysinstall but
> I didn't see them.  (As above, I also tried to enable named from
> /stand/sysinstall but apparently I couldn't.)  How can I do get RSAREF (I
> already know the fix for localization) from within the system itself?

That's the Crypto distribution. If you want to stay away from it, just
do not install it.

> Lastly, I'd like to clarify the issue of Current v. Stable.  With RELENG_4
> release tag, I have seen 4.0 described as the "4.0-stable branch." I have
> also heard that 4.0 is very stable, much more so than 3.0 was, etc. and I am
> not using the box in a production environment.  Even so, since 4.0 is fairly
> new, I figure that it may experience a time when CVSup-ing results in
> problems.  I'd rather keep that to a minimum (if I was at a level where I
> could deal with such problems and  had the patience and time, I would be
> tracking 5.0-CURRENT).  I know that I am accepting *some* risk by tracking
> RELENG_4 but I would like to reduce that as much as possible.  Do I simply
> CVSup, then examin the mailing lists for problems for a few days, and if no
> major problems are reported, then make and install a new kernel from that (2
> or 3 day old) CVSup?

That is a reasonable procedure and expectation for a -stable branch.

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

        One IP to bring them all and in the zone bind them.