Date:      Wed, 22 Apr 1998 00:06:42 +0200
From:      Stefan Esser <se@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>, freebsd-ports@freefall.freebsd.org
Cc:        Stefan Esser <se@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: kde port

On 1998-04-20 13:28 +0200, Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.RWTH-Aachen.DE> wrote:

> Although I got through building and installing kde I found something strange:
>
> When doing a make in /usr/ports/x11/kde the port ends with:
>
> mkdir /usr/local/share/doc/HTML/en/kdelibs
>  install -c -o bin -g bin -m 444 ./kdebug.html /usr/local/share/doc/HTML/en/kdelibs/kdebug.html
> rm -f /usr/local/share/doc/HTML/default
> ln -s en /usr/local/share/doc/HTML/default
> ===>  Registering installation for kdelibs-3.1b
> ===>  Returning to build of kde-3.1b
> ===>  Configuring for kde-3.1b
> #

Hmmm, I don't usually test "kde", but build each of
the components individually (kdelibs, kdebase, ...).

> When I then do a make install it seems to start over or builds something
> additional which is not built in the first pass:
>
> # make install
> >> No MD5 checksum file.
> ===>  Installing for kde-3.1b
> ===>  Warning: your umask is "0002".
>       If this is not desired, set it to an appropriate value
>       and install this port again by ``make reinstall''.
> ===>  kde-3.1b depends on executable: kwm - not found
> ===>  Verifying install for kwm in /usr/ports/x11/kdebase
> >> kdebase-Beta3-1.src.tar.gz doesn't seem to exist on this system.

Hmmm, is this because all kdebase (kdeutils, kdegames,
...) are listed as RUN_DEPENDS, which are not required
until the installation is actually performed ?

> I'd think with make *everything* should be built at once.
>
> (I'm building on a 2.2.5-R system though with newer .mk files
>  so YMMV).

I'm test-building on a -current system with latest
bsd.port.mk, but can't easily reproduce the symptoms
you describe, since I'm just working on the port of
KDE Beta4.
After I've got kdelibs and kdebase ready for Beta4,
I'll check out the "all" and "install" targets of
the kde meta-port ...

Regards, STefan