Date:      15 Mar 2001 09:59:45 +0000
From:      Wayne Pascoe <wayne.pascoe@realtime.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   CD Writer issues, continued

Hi all,

I am still trying to resolve my problems with a cd writer. The device
is a Yamaha CRW8824E
The dmesg line for this device reads as follows:

acd0: CD-RW <YAMAHA CRW8824E> at ata1-master using PIO4

There is another cd rom drive on the same controller:

acd1: CDROM <FX4820T> at ata1-slave using PIO4

Attempting to burn a cd, or even burning a cd in test mode gives the
following output:

# burncd -t -s8 data sparc64cd.iso fixate
next writeable LBA 0
writing from file sparc64cd.iso size 86720 KB
written this track 86720 KB (100%) total 86720 KB
fixating CD, please wait..
burncd: ioctl(CDRIOCCLOSEDISK): Input/output error

I have tried all speeds from 1 to 8. If I leave the fixate off the
end, the write completes without errors, but I am unable to mount the
cd in any drive, even a cdr drive.

I have also tried using -m to burn cd's in multisession mode, but this
makes no difference.

If I attempt to mount a cdrom after a failed burn, I get a page fault
and my machine reboots 15 seconds later.

This drive burns fine under Linux using cdrecord and scsi emulation,
so I am certain that the hardware is not faulty.

Any assistance would be much appreciated. This machine is the one we
use to burn logs to cd, and if I can't get it working, I have to go
back to Linux :(

--
- Wayne Pascoe
E-mail: wayne.pascoe@realtime.co.uk