Date:      Thu, 1 Aug 1996 20:09:33 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD-current users)
Cc:        tony@fit.qut.edu.au
Subject:   Re: NFS Diskless Dispare...

As Doug Rabson wrote:

> > >   2. Files permissions are read incorrectly. Files that should be able to
> > >      be executed are giving "permission denied" messages.

> > Probably more NFS bogosity.
>
> I think for diskless root filesystems, you must export the fs with
> -root=0, otherwise lots of stuff will break.

I don't think that's Tony's problem.  Note that he writes that
everything works well if only a few machines boot diskless (i can
basically confirm this, but my single scratch box is about all i have
to test).

> > >   3. Pageing in of binaries cause the system to panic. Vnode_pager does
> > >      not seem to like it when it can't page in executables, even when the
> >
> > See #2. :-)
>
> Probably paging from a file which root can't access (see above).

No, rather that the normal NFS retries are not in effect (or something
like this) when the pagein is requested by the vnode pager (as opposed
to a userland program).  I have noticed some similar bogosity once
with Data General DG/UX, but for write access, and they have never
been able to resolve this.  (mmap()ed files were only written
correctly in 1 out of 10 attempts, and SIGBUS'ed the other 9
processes.  Alas, the ELF ld(1) mmap'ed its output file.)

--
cheers, J"org