Date:      Thu, 2 Aug 2001 18:38:40 -0700
From:      Geoff Jukema <gjukema@jukeware.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   can't ping through WAN

Hello, my question is regarding WAN's and the fact that I cannot ping from a
FreeBSD machine through the WAN router to another subnet, but windows clients on
the same LAN can.

I've searched all over (and will continue to do so after posting this message),
but have been unsuccessful in finding an answer.  Any help or resources would
be greatly appreciated.

Here's a sample network layout ( below is a text-formatted diagram):
I have a number of machines located in Office A (10.10.20.*).  One machine is a
FreeBSD machine running as a Mail Server, and the others are WIndows clients.

Office B is on a different subnet class (10.10.10.*).  The two networks are
connected with some form of WAN router that the local telco installed.

Here's the current network situation/problem :
--------------------------------
All the Clients from Office A can ping all the clients in Office B and
visa-versa.

All Clients in Office A can also ping, and subsequently send and recieve mail to
the FreeBSD mail server in Office A.

None of the clients in Office B can ping the FreeBSD mail server, nor
can the FreeBSD machine ping those clients.

How do I get the FreeBSD machine to be able to reach the machines in Office B?

My understanding would be to do the following :

1) make sure the "defaultrouter" setting in rc.conf was set to the WAN router
(in this example, 10.10.20.192)
2) make the subnet masks equal to whatever the windows clients have (in this
case, they all have 255.255.255.192)

I don't have access to this machine at the moment, and the only thing I *know*
that is incorrect is the subnet mask - I have the subnet mask set to
255.255.0.0, whereas the windows machines have 255.255.255.192.

Here's a diagram to help demonstrate this example WAN :

                               OFFICE A (ping to freebsd ok!)
------------    ----------   -----------
|  10.10.20.1     |     | 10.10.20.2    |   | 10.10.20.240 |
|  WIN CLIENT  |     | WIN CLIENT |   |  FREEBSD    |
------------    -----------  -----------
         |                            |                        |
         _______________________________

                               10.10.20.192
                -------------------------
                |      WAN CONNECTION (router)  |
                -------------------------
                               10.10.10.192

         _______________________________
         |                            |                        |
------------    ----------   -----------
|  10.10.20.1     |     | 10.10.20.2    |   | 10.10.20.240 |
|  WIN CLIENT  |     | WIN CLIENT |   |  FREEBSD    |
                              OFFICE B (ping to freebsd not ok!)

Again, any guidance and/or known resources would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Geoff Jukema

--
Geoff Jukema