Date:      Wed, 16 Jan 2002 16:49:37 -0500
From:      "Doug Reynolds" <mav@wastegate.net>
To:        "ann kok" <annkok2001@yahoo.com>, "Barry Byrne" <barry.byrne@wbtsystems.com>, "questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: mail question

On Wed, 16 Jan 2002 15:41:39 -0000, Barry Byrne wrote:

this manpage would probably also be a good start

man uuencode/uudecode

EXAMPLES
     The following example packages up a source tree, compresses it,
uuencodes
     it and mails it to a user on another system.  When uudecode is run
on the
     target system, the file ``src_tree.tar.Z'' will be created which
may then
     be uncompressed and extracted into the original tree.

           tar cf - src_tree | compress |
           uuencode src_tree.tar.Z | mail sys1!sys2!user

     The following example unpack all uuencode'd files from your
mailbox into
     your current working directory.

           uudecode -c < $MAIL

     The following example extract a compress'ed tar archive from your
mailbox

           uudecode -p < $MAIL | zcat | tar xfv -

SEE ALSO
     basename(1), compress(1), mail(1), uucp(1), uuencode(5)

>Ann:
>
>The attachment needs to be encoded prior to transmission as an attachment.
>There are numerous ways to do this. Kyle Tucker has a useful web page with
>some pointers:
>
>	http://www3.primushost.com/~kylet/unix-att.html
>
>Cheers,
>
>Barry
>
>--
>Barry Byrne, IT Manager,
>WBT Systems, Block 2, Harcourt Centre
>Harcourt Street, Dublin 2, Ireland
>
>Phone:  +353 1 417 0150
>Fax:    +353 1 478 5544
>Email:  barry.byrne@wbtsystems.com
>Web:    www.wbtsystems.com

---
doug reynolds | the maverick | mav@wastegate.net

PGP Public Key Fingerprint: 6E7B 9993 B503 6D45  E33A 2019 26E5 C1DB