Date:      Thu, 22 Aug 2002 15:47:41 -0500
From:      Kevin Lyons <klyons@corserv.com>
To:        Nielsen <nielsen@memberwebs.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sis 900 patch / sis630

I fixed it in 4.5 by just commenting out the "read_eeprom to get MAC"
sections of /sys/pci/if_sis.c and recompiling the kernel.

The code to get the mac address from CMOS (ET boards) is there, but i
think there's a problem with the if/else and #ifdefine 386 such that
after the ET cmos mac is read, it goes in again and sets it from an
EEPROM read which is why we get all zeros.

I didn't have the inclination to do a proper fix, just commented out the
bad sections.  I can send a diff if anyone is interested and has the
Matsonic 7308ET board and doesn't want to make up a MAC address.  I may
try to borrow 4.6's if_sis.c and see if it compiles.

Thanks, Kevin