Date:      Fri, 10 Aug 2001 13:33:20 -0500
From:      Martin McCormick <martin@dc.cis.okstate.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Swap Space Philosophy

	A FreeBSD-powered server I recently set up has 1 gigabyte
of RAM and a 8-gigabyte hard disk.  My understanding of swap
usage is that swapping is done when an application runs out of
RAM.  Since this system will be running applications like domain
name service and dhcp service, I doubt that it will get close to
running out of RAM any time soon, if ever.  I allocated a swap
space of 2 megabytes because fdisk requires Swap.

	This particular server will have a fairly light load, but
I am asking whether FreeBSD uses swap in any unusual way that I
haven't counted on.  If I followed the usual rule of thumb, I
would have wasted about 12% of the disk space for an event that
probably won't happen.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
OSU Center for Computing and Information Services Data Communications Group