Date:      Thu, 10 Oct 2002 14:18:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:      sabaker+@ux12.sp.cs.cmu.edu
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   samba log file question

On smbd  2.2.6pre2
 (i think this happens on previous versions too)
I've noticed the following behavior
I've set my log file to /var/log/samba.smb
and the samba.sh startup file to start smbd simply
smbd -D
but I notice it creates a /var/log/log.smbd
file upon startup.

I'm suprised that it didn't put those messages
in my defined log file.  The smb.conf man page
lead me to beleive it would.

It's annoying to have to track two log files
instead of just one (makes seeing when the server
restarted much easier).  Can that be easily
modified through some option I haven't found?

I notice a smbd -l option, but that only
indicates the directory and not what the file is
named.
--
Sarah Baker
Technical Operations