Date:      Sun, 14 Mar 1999 19:43:57 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@auss2.alcatel.com.au>
To:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: disapointing security architecture

Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com> wrote:
>My suggestion for FreeBSD would be to steal half of the disk direct
>blocks in the disk inode for ACL information.

The downside of this is that _all_ files between 7 and 12 blocks long
(typically 48-96KB) will then need an indirect block - adding an extra
block to its size (additional indirect blocks are needed for other
sizes as well, but this first one is the biggest relative space/time
hit).  Whilst this may be reasonable for a system where the majority
of the files have individual ACLs, I suspect this wouldn't be true
of most systems.

IMHO, stealing an extra inode (or disk block) only for files that need
ACLs would be preferable (especially if ACL sharing is implemented).
Admittedly, we still need to find space for the additional pointer
in the inode.

Peter