Date:      Sun, 14 Sep 2003 01:26:03 -0600
From:      Phillip Neiswanger <FilaBuster@prodigy.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   OpenGL software rendering

Hello,

Has anyone tried OpenGL software rendering with Nate Robins tutorial
programs located here:  http://www.xmission.com/~nate/tutors/tutors.zip

I get a black background and the menus seem to be working, but that's
it. Sometimes the programs produce areas of randomly colored pixels.
However, if I then load the kernel module for my graphics card (Voodoo 5
5500) and restart X so I get hardware acceleration then the programs
produce appropriate output.  Currently, I'm learning GL programming
using software rendering because the dri voodoo driver has a problem
with colormaps.  Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else experiences
similar problems with software rendering.

My system is using the following:

AMD Athlon classic 850Mhz
EPOX EP-7KXA motherboard
Voodoo 5 5500 vid card
FreeBSD 4.7 with my own configuration
XFree86 4.3.0 packages from packages-4-stable
--
phil