Date:      Sun, 1 Mar 2009 17:46:27 +0000
From:      "Daniel Bye" <danielby@slightlystrange.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd-update patch not being applied

--7JfCtLOvnd9MIVvH

009     root@driscoll.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64
>=20
> But if i run freebsd-update fetch i get this
>=20
> 	$ sudo freebsd-update fetch
> 	Password:
> 	Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 2 mirrors found.
> 	Fetching metadata signature for 7.1-RELEASE from update2.FreeBSD.org... =
done.
> 	Fetching metadata index... done.
> 	Inspecting system... done.
> 	Preparing to download files... done.
>=20
> 	No updates needed to update system to 7.1-RELEASE-p3.
>=20
> Everytime the application has said there are new updates i installed them=
 with `freebsd-update install`,
> and eventually i got around to restarting, but when I log back in and typ=
e `uname -a` I get the same message
> as above: `7.1-RELEASE #0`
>=20
> Now on a seperate system running 7.0 I have a similar problem where uname=
 -a always reports `7.0-RELEASE-p7 #0`
> even though freebsd-update reports
> 	Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 2 mirrors found.
> 	Fetching metadata signature for 7.0-RELEASE from update2.FreeBSD.org... =
done.
> 	Fetching metadata index... done.
> 	Inspecting system... done.
> 	Preparing to download files... done.
>=20
> 	No updates needed to update system to 7.0-RELEASE-p10.
>=20
> Now I'm new to the BSD world, but i do have a fair amount of experience w=
ith Linux. What I am trying to figure
> out here, is why uname -a reports a different patch number than it should.

This is the normal behaviour for freebsd-update. The patch level number will
only bump if an update affects the kernel. The most recent updates for 7.1
didn't touch the kernel, so you still see the previous (somewhat confusing)
version number. However, if the next update requires that the kernel be
replaced, then you'll see the patch level number increase.

Hope this makes sense...

Dan

--=20
Daniel Bye