Date:      Sat, 9 Oct 2004 21:00:04 +0300
From:      "Toomas Aas" <toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee>
To:        "Walker, Michael" <Michael.Walker2@capita.co.uk>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Planning a Upgrade (5.2.1 --> 5.3)

Hi!

> Do you know of any utilities that I can use to read through my existing
> /etc/master.passwd file and dump usernames and plain text passwords to a
> file?

You don't need to get the plain text passwords. It's sufficient to get
the password hashes as they are in master.passwd, because when you move
them to the new system they still represent the same passwords.

The way I would proceed in your situation is this:

Open the files /etc/passwd, /etc/master.passwd and /etc/group in text
editor and look for non-system users/groups (the ones you've added
yourself). Copy over the relevant lines to backup files in secure
location. Of course, make sure to not change the original files.

Once you have 5.3 installed, open /etc/group in text editor and add the
lines you saved from your original /etc/group. Do not modify the lines
representing system groups.

Then issue the command 'vipw'. This opens your master.passwd file in
vi, so you better know how to use vi ;-). Go to end of file and paste
the lines that you saved from your original master.passwd. Exit, saving
the changes. Make sure that the home directories specified in your
newly-added lines exist.

This should be it.

--
Toomas Aas | toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee | http://www.raad.tartu.ee/~toomas/
* No, `Eureka' is Greek for `This bath is too hot.'