Date:      Mon, 02 Mar 1998 11:37:11 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Philippe Regnauld <regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports for X11 stuff

> > 	"Now it'd be nice if"© a simple dialog box popped
> > 	up during sysinstall saying, "hey, you chose to install X, you have
> > 	less than N megabytes for /usr, but you have 3 Terabytes in
> > 	/usr/local: [do you want to | you should ] create /usr/local/X11R6,
> > 	and make a symlink in /usr ?"
> >
> > 	I might (*shudder*) even look at sysinstall's code (*tremble*)
> > 	and see if I can do it myself, if there's interest.
>
> Talk to Mike Smith - he's already (*shudder* :-) in this area of the
> code trying to figure out how to do proper sizing information for
> everything, not just the X bits, and implement proper "you're 30%
> done" progress bars.  It sounds to me like what you want would fall
> out of this fairly easily.

The "newbie" install will actually get around that by taking the
easy-but-bad way out and not assuming that you want to do anything
fancy with your disk layout.  I expect to wear a lot of flak about this
from experienced users that would never use a "newbie" install, but I
also hope to reduce the number of complaints from people who don't have
enough space in /tmp or /var.

For more advanced users, or those wanting a more traditional layout,
the intention is to complain about space problems *before* starting the
installation.

A question - would it be desirable for X to be installed, by default,
somewhere *else*, and just symlinked into /usr?  Should it go in
/usr/local, so that an experienced admin can assign a separate
filesystem for this?