Date:      Sat, 30 Sep 2000 23:24:51 -0700
From:      xavian anderson macpherson <professional3d@home.com>
To:        Bob Martin <bob@buckhorn.net>, darkinmage@bigfoot.com, tagdot57@aol.com, "Person, Roderick" <personrp@ccbh.com>, mongor@mail.FreeBSD.ORG, com@home.com, "fatboy@linuxbr.com.br" <fatboy@linuxbr.com.br>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: installing freebsd in an existing linux environment

--------------6D141DEFA7D62D6ED044ACEC

--------------2F286BD1E68E7042D414AD0F

THIS WAS ADDRESSED TO BOB.  BUT I AM ACTULLY WRITING MANY OF YOU AT
ONCE.  LAST NIGHT I STARTED WHAT WAS MEANT TO BE THE FIRST OF A
CONTINUING NEWSLETTER, DOCUMENTING THE PROCESS OF MY TRANSITION TO AND
INSTALLATION OF FREEBSD.  SOME OF YOU I HAVE KNOWN FOR A LONG TIME, SOME
OF YOU I HAVE BEEN ONLY RECENTLY CONTACTED THROUGH THE WEB.  I HOPE THIS
IS AN INTERESTING BUT NOT DAMNING EXPERIENCE!

hi bob, thanks for your response last night.  i got my freebsd today by
fedex.  i am in the process of going through the manual.  i am trying to
determine the best way to configure my system.  i have attached a copy
of my SuSE-YaST generated /etc/fstab file.  what i am trying to figure
out is, does freebsd use a boot partition; or more accurately, is there
a separate directory called /boot for freebsd?  is the bootstrap a
directory, or is it just a file?  the reason why i bring this up, is
that my `/' partition is not the first in my line of 4 disks.  in fact
it is the third, at /dev/hdc1.  now granted i will change some of slice
dimensions, as i was led to believe that my current root is too large
(at 1.2 GB's).  in df-dimensions, you will find the print-out of the
current dimensions of my system as revealed by the `df' command.  disk
free for those in this list who are not unix savvy.

based on what i've been reading, i'll certainly mount /tmp in mfs (the
virtual memory file system) on my swap drive.  i use all of my scsi disk
for my swap buffer, 528MB's.  and so far, it is hardly ever used.  but
then again i have 256MB's of ram.  what i need to know is, does the data
in /tmp when mounted on mfs get flushed back to (the ide) disk, or is it
simply lost?  i geuss it doesn't matter since it is only tempory anyway.

 i have the rest of my system spread out over 4 ide drives, as you will
see by using jed or someother editor to view the /etc/fstab file.  what
i want to know is, can i simply keep my old partition specifications but
reformatting them to ufs?  what does freebsd offer as an equivalent to
LVM (the logical volume manager) used by linux.

i will most likely change the current directory /pub to /usr/ports.
/pub is where i keep all of my rpms.  but i will do that after i have
moved all of my data from the other partitions to new locations.
something that i need to know is, can i get access to my partitions
during the installation process.  what i've done with linux is, open one
of the tty's to mount `/' on /mnt so that i could have access to the
programs (specifically, the rpm manager itself) during the
installation.  i don't really need to do that here,  but i do need to
juggle the data on my drives from one `slice' to another, while i am
reformatting; because i don't have a single `slice' that is large enough
to hold all of them in one location.

actually i have two `/' filesystems on my computer.  one is the
linux-mandrake system which is not functional, the other is the suse
distribution which i reinstalled because of mandrake's failure to
perform.  everytime i try to boot i keep getting errors.  although it
has gotten better.  right now there is a problem with SysVinit not being
able to read libc.so.6.  it doesn't make any sense to me because it is
there.  i checked with `ls' (list).  the only thing is that it is a
symbolic link to another file.  i think it is libc++-2.1.3, or something
like that.  i was trying to compile the mandrake
hackkernel-2.4.0-0.24mdk.  the compilation went just fine.  but for a
longtime, i couldn't get the modules to load properly.  finally i have
gotten it to make module_install.  but there is one of my files missing
that controls the system updatedb command.  what's happening is that i
load packages, but then the system doesn't know about it; and i have not
figured out which package i have to reload to get it to work.

frankly, i'm just tired of the incompatabilities between the linux
distributions; as it was that that cause this problem in the first
place.  but then linux is still so much of a beta system, that i don't
trust it anymore to devote anymore of my time to it.  i mean i had the
good fortune of talking to one of the packagers for mandrake who openly
admitted that the linux set i purchased (mandrake 7.0) had only been
beta tested for two weeks before it was released.  that's a bunch of
crap!  i'm not about to subject myself to that kind of treatment again.
when i buy a system (or anything else for that matters) i want to know
that it will work properly out of the box, and not be something of a
work in progress.  that's kind of like going to a bakery to buy a cake
that's not fully baked!  and you know what happened to Marie Antoinette
who had the audacity to tell her subjects to eat cake.  well so much for
history!  ;  )  and they said the future was looking brighter?  well i
hope so with freebsd.

i was prepared to stop.  but realized that i haven't gotten the one
answer which is most critical.  how does freebsd deal with file
conflicts?  with linux, using the rpm system, you get notices of file
conflicts even before you actually install any packages.  i don't see
where any such mechanism is available for that purpose in freebsd.  if
there really is none, then i want to know is how do i compile the source
binaries for rpm so that i can use it under freebsd?  because my main
desire is for the bsd kernel.  i want the stability and security of the
bsd kernel, matched with the wide data base of linux packages, or as
freebsd would refer to them, ports.  it seems that freebsd would simply
overwrite existing files with new ones is the old one has the same
name.  maybe the best that i could hope for is that the old would have
it's name changed or altered to something like *.orig, *.old, etc.  but
then this may not be a problem at all.  i just want to know before i
embark on this journey into madness.

so, he who has an answer, let him speak!

--------------2F286BD1E68E7042D414AD0F

<b><font size=+1>THIS WAS ADDRESSED TO BOB.&nbsp; BUT I AM ACTULLY WRITING
MANY OF YOU AT ONCE.&nbsp; LAST NIGHT I STARTED WHAT WAS MEANT TO BE THE
FIRST OF A CONTINUING NEWSLETTER, DOCUMENTING THE PROCESS OF MY TRANSITION
TO AND INSTALLATION OF FREEBSD.&nbsp; SOME OF YOU I HAVE KNOWN FOR A LONG
TIME, SOME OF YOU I HAVE BEEN ONLY RECENTLY CONTACTED THROUGH THE WEB.&nbsp;
i got my freebsd today by fedex.&nbsp; i am in the process of going through
the manual.&nbsp; i am trying to determine the best way to configure my
system.&nbsp; i have attached a copy of my SuSE-YaST generated /etc/fstab
file.&nbsp; what i am trying to figure out is, does freebsd use a boot
partition; or more accurately, is there a separate directory called /boot
for freebsd?&nbsp; is the bootstrap a directory, or is it just a file?&nbsp;
the reason why i bring this up, is that my `/' partition is not the first
in my line of 4 disks.&nbsp; in fact it is the third, at /dev/hdc1.&nbsp;
now granted i will change some of slice dimensions, as i was led to believe
that my current root is too large (at 1.2 GB's).&nbsp; in df-dimensions,
you will find the print-out of the current dimensions of my system as revealed
by the `df' command.&nbsp; disk free for those in this list who are not
/tmp in mfs (the virtual memory file system) on my swap drive.&nbsp; i
use all of my scsi disk for my swap buffer, 528MB's.&nbsp; and so far,
it is hardly ever used.&nbsp; but then again i have 256MB's of ram.&nbsp;
what i need to know is, does the data in /tmp when mounted on mfs get flushed
back to (the ide) disk, or is it simply lost?&nbsp; i geuss it doesn't
4 ide drives, as you will see by using jed or someother editor to view
the /etc/fstab file.&nbsp; what i want to know is, can i simply keep my
old partition specifications but reformatting them to ufs?&nbsp; what does
freebsd offer as an equivalent to LVM (the logical volume manager) used
to /usr/ports.&nbsp; /pub is where i keep all of my rpms.&nbsp; but i will
do that after i have moved all of my data from the other partitions to
new locations.&nbsp; something that i need to know is, can i get access
to my partitions during the installation process.&nbsp; what i've done
with linux is, open one of the tty's to mount `/' on /mnt so that i could
have access to the programs (specifically, the rpm manager itself) during
the installation.&nbsp; i don't really need to do that here,&nbsp; but
i do need to juggle the data on my drives from one `slice' to another,
while i am reformatting; because i don't have a single `slice' that is
one is the linux-mandrake system which is not functional, the other is
the suse distribution which i reinstalled because of mandrake's failure
to perform.&nbsp; everytime i try to boot i keep getting errors.&nbsp;
although it has gotten better.&nbsp; right now there is a problem with
SysVinit not being able to read libc.so.6.&nbsp; it doesn't make any sense
to me because it is there.&nbsp; i checked with `ls' (list).&nbsp; the
only thing is that it is a symbolic link to another file.&nbsp; i think
it is libc++-2.1.3, or something like that.&nbsp; i was trying to compile
the mandrake hackkernel-2.4.0-0.24mdk.&nbsp; the compilation went just
fine.&nbsp; but for a longtime, i couldn't get the modules to load properly.&nbsp;
finally i have gotten it to make module_install.&nbsp; but there is one
of my files missing that controls the system updatedb command.&nbsp; what's
happening is that i load packages, but then the system doesn't know about
it; and i have not figured out which package i have to reload to get it
the linux distributions; as it was that that cause this problem in the
first place.&nbsp; but then linux is still so much of a beta system, that
i don't trust it anymore to devote anymore of my time to it.&nbsp; i mean
i had the good fortune of talking to one of the packagers for mandrake
who openly admitted that the linux set i purchased (mandrake 7.0) had only
been beta tested for two weeks before it was released.&nbsp; that's a bunch
of crap!&nbsp; i'm not about to subject myself to that kind of treatment
again.&nbsp; when i buy a system (or anything else for that matters) i
want to know that it will work properly out of the box, and not be something
of a work in progress.&nbsp; that's kind of like going to a bakery to buy
a cake that's not fully baked!&nbsp; and you know what happened to Marie
Antoinette who had the audacity to tell her subjects to eat cake.&nbsp;
well so much for history!&nbsp; ;&nbsp; )&nbsp; and they said the future
gotten the one answer which is most critical.&nbsp; how does freebsd deal
with file conflicts?&nbsp; with linux, using the rpm system, you get notices
of file conflicts even before you actually install any packages.&nbsp;
i don't see where any such mechanism is available for that purpose in freebsd.&nbsp;
if there really is none, then i want to know is how do i compile the source
binaries for rpm so that i can use it under freebsd?&nbsp; because my main
desire is for the bsd kernel.&nbsp; i want the stability and security of
the bsd kernel, matched with the wide data base of linux packages, or as
freebsd would refer to them, ports.&nbsp; it seems that freebsd would simply
overwrite existing files with new ones is the old one has the same name.&nbsp;
maybe the best that i could hope for is that the old would have it's name
changed or altered to something like *.orig, *.old, etc.&nbsp; but then
this may not be a problem at all.&nbsp; i just want to know before i embark

--------------2F286BD1E68E7042D414AD0F--

--------------6D141DEFA7D62D6ED044ACEC

# End of YaST-generated fstab lines

/dev/hda1 /boot ext2 defaults 1 2
/dev/hda2 /root ext2 defaults 1 2
/dev/hda3 /var ext2 defaults 1 2
/dev/hdb1 /usr/src ext2 defaults 1 2
/dev/hdc1 / ext2 defaults 1 1
/dev/hdd1 /pub ext2 defaults 1 2
/dev/hdd2 /usr ext2 defaults 1 2
/dev/hdd3 /usr/share ext2 defaults 1 2
/dev/hdd4 /usr/X11R6 ext2 defaults 1 2
/dev/sda1 swap_upgrade swap defaults 0 0
/mnt/floppy /mnt/floppy supermount fs=vfat,dev=/dev/fd0 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
/mnt/cdrom /mnt/cdrom supermount fs=iso9660,dev=/dev/cdrom 0 0

--------------6D141DEFA7D62D6ED044ACEC

/dev/hdd1              4507288   3311276    967048  77% /
/dev/hda1                17534      8363      8266  50% /boot
/dev/hdc1              1232176    665084    504500  57% /mnt
/dev/hda3               575436    165968    380236  30% /mnt/var
/dev/hdd2              4762412   2243352   2277140  50% /mnt/usr
/dev/hda2                20777      1049     18620   5% /mnt/root
/dev/hdb1               817480    209664    566288  27% /mnt/usr/src
/dev/hdd3              2025968   1075108    847944  56% /mnt/usr/share
/dev/hdd4              1777952    561040   1126596  33% /mnt/usr/X11R6