Date:      Thu, 26 Dec 1996 19:41:55 -0500 (EST)
From:      Charles Owens <owensc@enc.edu>
To:        David Leonard <leonard@dstc.edu.au>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: multi-group file access techniques (repost)

On Fri, 27 Dec 1996, David Leonard wrote:

> In dstc.mail.freebsd.hackers you write:
>
> > .../man_readable_c is a "control directory," a technique that seems
> [...]
> > making 'www' the owner of all "choke point" directories:
>
> okay, so this technique is emulating ACLs by concatenating the unix
> permissions on ancestor directories. (correct me if ive got this wrong)

Yep, that's the general idea.

> > In his article, Doug Morris also speaks of a technique of using hard links
> > of directories to achieve a similar effect.  This technique could be used
> > in tandem with the above to add more flexibility, but we all know the
> > GREAT EVIL that hard linked directories are.  :-)
>
> this could also be done with portalfs or nullfs?  hard links can
> introduce inter-device cycles in the filesystem tree which many
> program (libraries) rely on the non-existence of.
>
> imho introducing ACLs is admitting to complexity :)

I agree with the sentiment!

> The really simple solution is having billions of groups and encoding the
> ACL in them... a perl script should do it :) :) :)

What exactly do you mean by 'encoding the ACL in them'.  Could you flesh
this out a bit... perhaps including an example?

Thanks!
---
  Charles Owens                                  Email:  owensc@enc.edu
                                       "I read somewhere to learn is to
  Information Technology Services     remember... and I've learned that
  Eastern Nazarene College            we've all forgot..."   - King's X