Date:      Mon, 25 Nov 2002 18:58:25 +0100
From:      Philip Paeps <philip@paeps.cx>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I'm impressed, but ...

On 2002-11-25 17:23:50 (+0200), ianf@za.uu.net <ianf@za.uu.net> wrote:
> Philip Paeps wrote:
> >  1. When I boot my machine, it gives me the following messages:
> >
> >   | [...]
> >   | vga0: <Generic ISA VGA> at port 0x3c0-0x3df iomem 0xa0000-0xbffff on isa0
> >   | unknown: <PNP0303> can't assign resources (port)
> >   | unknown: <PNP0f13> can't assign resources (irq)
> >   | unknown: <PNP0c02> can't assign resources (port)
> >   | unknown: <PNP0501> can't assign resources (port)
> >   | unknown: <PNP0700> can't assign resources (port)
> >   | unknown: <PNP0401> can't assign resources (port)
> >   | unknown: <PNP0501> can't assign resources (port)
> >   | Timecounters tick every 10.000 msec
> >   | ahc0: Someone reset channel A
> >   | [...]
> >
> >   All my hardware (the stuff I've tested anyway) appears to work.  Any idea
> >   which device is being unknown, or how I could find out?
>
> Do you also get an 'unable to initialize ACPI' message when your system
> boots?

Nope, I don't use ACPI.  I didn't have it in my kernel, and don't load it
dynamically either.

> I stopped getting this message when I compiled ACPI support into the kernel:
>
> device          acpi
> options         ACPI_DEBUG

I tried that, I still get the same message as above, in addition to some new
happy messages:

  | ACPI-0159: *** Error: AcpiLoadTables: Could not get RSDP, AE_NO_ACPI_TABLES
  | ACPI-0213: *** Error: AcpiLoadTables: Could not load tables: AE_NO_ACPI_TABLES
  | ACPI: table load failed: AE_NO_ACPI_TABLES

I've probably turned ACPI off in the BIOS (haven't checked), if there's even
ACPI stuff available on this machine.

> Someone here will probably say that you don't need to compile it into the
> kernel, you can use the kernel module and you can use loader.conf to do
> this.  See /usr/src/sys/boot/forth/loader.conf and loader.conf(5) for more
> details. FWIW, this file should probably have been installed into
> /boot/loader.conf.(default|sample|etc), then lazy people like me would have
> noticed a significant difference in loader.conf from 4.7 to current and
> investigated further.

Loader.conf works nicely, but putting acpi in there, or in the kernel, gives
exactly the same results as above: the PNP messages, plus the ACPI complaints.

 - Philip

--
Philip Paeps                                          Please don't CC me, I am
philip@paeps.cx                                       subscribed to the list.

  BOFH Excuse #282:
    High altitude condensation from U.S.A.F prototype aircraft has
    contaminated the primary subnet mask. Turn off your computer for 9 days
    to avoid damaging it.