Date:      Thu, 13 Mar 1997 09:00:14 -0700
From:      Sean Kelly <kelly@fsl.noaa.gov>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        James FitzGibbon <james@nexis.net>, questions@freebsd.org, hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Poscript on an Brother HL760 ?

> Most 'postscript' printers are slow and stupid.  Ghostscript OTOH gets to
> run on your CPU (how many Pentium-powered printers?) and you can update
> it as postscript conventions change.

All true.  Ghostscript, however, does not have a decent set of fonts.

And I still use my Panasonic KXP-4455 (powered by a Motorola 68000
running at less than 7MHz or so, quite possibly the slowest PostScript
printer in existence) to process PostScript output because it makes a
Times Roman headline font look 100 times better than the public-domain
Times Roman accompanying Ghostscript.

--
Sean Kelly
NOAA Forecast Systems Laboratory    kelly@fsl.noaa.gov