Date:      Wed, 9 Apr 1997 09:20:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Alan Gilbert <gilbertd@cs.man.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd-bugs
Subject:   Re: bin/1891: mountd fails to export

The following reply was made to PR bin/1891; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: David Alan Gilbert <gilbertd@cs.man.ac.uk>
To: freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org, adam@veda.is
Cc:  Subject: Re: bin/1891: mountd fails to export
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 1997 13:52:27 +0100

 This is causing me real hastles.  We have a few hundred machines on the
 network and I admin one server and don't have admin privelidges outside
 the group; even though our server must export to everyone.

 Quite often a machine gets added to a netgroup but not the DNS or
 someone does a clear out and tidies up the DNS but doesn't clean the
 netgroup out - this shouldn't screw up all the other machines.

 To give you an idea of the scale of this problem when I first installed
 our FreeBSD server there were around 100 machines in the netgroup
 which were no longer in the DNS!

 Even on the basis of transient problems (you start mountd between
 someone updating netgroup and DNS) it is just not on for mountd to
 skip the entire line.

 I've written a a hack which works around it - but its a hack and
 it just core'd on me probably because it was one of the first entries
 of the netgroup which failed. If someone who understands the linked
 list in mountd could fix this it would be VERY useful.

 Dave

 P.S. SunOS just takes these netgroup problems in its stride. Another
 view of the same problem is that you shouldn't do the IP lookup
 at startup time, but instead when a mount request occurs - what happens
 if the IP address of a machine changes between mountd starting and
 the machine trying to mount you? I believe SunOS would cope with this
 and FreeBSD wouldn't. This would be a major change, I believe turing the
 error above into a warning would be fairly easy.
 --
 ----------- (Phone: 0161-275-3547) ------------------------ Man can not
 live  -