Date:      Tue, 31 Mar 1998 23:45:03 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Yest one more: devel/crosssco

On Tue, 31 Mar 1998, Simon Shapiro wrote:

> As I said, I really do not care for myself.  I have done complex and messy
> ports.  I have writen complex code.  I can live with it.  It would help if
> these dependencies and side-effects were documented.  If maintainers simply
> had a full tree where they build, 95% of these dependencies would be
> discovered.  I am willing to make a machine available to any ``registered''
> FreeBSD maintainer, with a full build environment on it, so they can test
> for these interactions.  They will have to remotely login, as my paycheck
> cannot cover shipping a machine per maintaier.  Especially when it does not
> show up on time.  BTW, this concept of build-on-a-messy-machine, i
> introduced into the Debian project some years ago.

Tell me more about that last thing.  Were you making something build
that you had full control of, or were you adapting something that you
didn't write, and couldn't control completely (like a port) to build in
any environment?  If you were talking about their souce code, I'm not
impressed (you could control that well enough), but if you were talking
about, say, a huge project (like octave, many megs of code in size, and
NOT under FreeBSD control) then I'm interested.

> Simon

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |