Date:      Tue, 11 Dec 2007 17:15:07 +0100
From:      "Ivan Voras" <ivoras@freebsd.org>
To:        "Peter Thoenen" <peter.thoenen@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Various Issues with 7.0-BETA4

On 11/12/2007, Peter Thoenen <peter.thoenen@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Just FYI above mainly worked minus the "zfs import -f" step ... had to
> do "zpool import -f" instead.  I am guessing just fat fingered on your
> end but figured I should stick it in my response for the archives in
> case anybody has the problem and actually searches them.

You're correct, thank you - I don't think "zfs" even has the "import"
command in itself. "zpool" is what the intention was.

> BTW, is that "known feature" documented anywhere .. .can't imagine I am
> the only guy that has hit this problem and it happened to me on all 3
> ZFS systems I have build on FBSD.  Googled quite a bit before posting
> over the last week or so but this is the first time I am seeing a fix.

I think it got mentioned, but always when someone gets burn by it.

I think the real problem is that there should be some sort of
dependency tracking so the /etc/rc.d/zfs script knows it should start
"hostid" before running, or refuse to run if hostid is not started. Or
maybe the same but for the kernel module and "zfs" and "zpool"
executables.

> Thanks much on the ZFS issue.  Now the build and install world issues :)

Can't help you with the build world issues except by suggesting
generic troubleshooting:

- try deleting /usr/obj
- try installworld into a different directory (DESTDIR variable)
- try building world on a different machine with exactly the same
sources then copying /usr/obj to your machine and doing make
installworld as usual.