Date:      Mon, 9 Apr 2001 19:56:14 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
Cc:        Vincent Deffontaines <vincent.deffontaines@easynet.fr>, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: question about FreeBSD Port: ntp-4.0.99k

On Mon, Apr 09, 2001 at 09:49:53AM -0700, Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group wrote:
> I'll keep this short as I've got a busy day.
>
> The config file tells ntpd/xntpd, among other things, which time
> servers to use.  The driftfile records the offset of the local clock.
> Take a look at ntp.conf(5) for more info.
>
> If you don't want the default path (/usr/local) all you have to do is
> modify ntpdate_enable, ntpdate_program, ntpdate_flags, xntpd_enable,
> xntpd_program, and xntpd_flags in rc.conf, e.g.
>
> ntpdate_enable="YES"            # Run ntpdate to sync time on boot (or
> NO).
> ntpdate_program="/usr/local/bin/ntpdate"       # path to ntpdate, if
> you want a different one.
> ntpdate_flags="-o 2 -s time1 time2 time3"                # Flags to
> ntpdate (if enabled).
> xntpd_enable="YES"              # Run ntpd Network Time Protocol (or
> NO).
> xntpd_program="/usr/local/bin/ntpd"            # path to ntpd, if you
> want a different one.
> xntpd_flags="-p /var/run/ntpd.pid -c /etc/ntp.conf"      # Flags to
> ntpd (if enabled).

Well, I didn't mention the _enable and _flags vars, because I figured
the programs were already enabled, and the flags shouldn't really
change.  If there is a -c conffile option in _flags, then yes, _flags
need fixing too; however, the stock -stable defaults/rc.conf does not
have any -c flags, that's why I spoke about copying the config under
/usr/local.

G'luck,
Peter

--
If this sentence were in Chinese, it would say something else.