Date:      Sun, 20 Mar 2005 01:58:19 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: MS Exchange server on FreeBSD?

No they don't.  Shared calendaring is a requirement once you
introduce e-mail to a large organization.

E-mail destroys the justification for having a company mailroom
and for interoffice mail.  As a result companies that go to e-mail
end up removing these things and reassigning people that worked
in them.  Unfortunately this destroys the same system that was
used for scheduling use of conference rooms, setting up meetings, etc.

> I suppose there's no harm in that intrinsically, but
> it does tend to lock them into proprietary solutions (which isn't
> necessarily good or bad).

No it doesen't.  There are open solutions that handle this well.

> There isn't any solution that will provide that kind of uptime today.

Yes there is.

> Application systems that provide the functionality your users want are
> not sufficiently evolved or reliable to achieve utility-grade service.
> And since all of them are the work of companies that have spent most of
> their existence writing for PCs, I don't expect this goal to be reached
> any time soon.
>
> Nevertheless, Exchange is at the top of the list in this respect.  It
> would be nice to have better, but this is the best available.

You need to learn about other solutions.  There is a big wide world out
there you haven't seen.

Ted