Date:      Tue, 17 Jul 2007 22:54:38 +0200
From:      Thomas Schilling <nominolo@googlemail.com>
To:        haskell@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   FreeBSD Port: ghc-6.6.1

Hi,

in its current form the ghc port depends on many X-related packages
which makes it depend on xorg-7.2.  As I want to install it on my
server I was hoping I could avoid that (also it requires quite some
manuel steps, thus makes it not straight-forward).  AFAIK, from 6.6.1
on GHC does not need to be built with all packages anymore, but
rather contains of a few base packages and so-called "extra-libs".

I therefore suggest that the ghc port be split up into a ghc or ghc-
base port, and a  ghc-extra-libs port.  This way, it is should be
possible to build ghc with much fewer dependencies (and more quickly).

Thanks,

/ Thomas