Date:      Sat, 5 Feb 2000 12:13:51 -0500 (EST)
From:      Pat Lynch <lynch@bsd.unix.sh>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD at LinuxWorld.

Well if I do end up at Andover, its unlikely I'll have much contact with
Slashdot users, as I'll be working on network backend stuff.

However, I know for a fact the Slashdot "editors" are not anti-BSD in any
way shape or form, and thier moderation setup does not allow them to
filter responses to the "message boards". However, you'll notice, most
flames get moderated down, and I usually set my threshold to 1 or 2.

Unfortunately, the original environment Slashdot was concieved in was
mostly Linux users, whom we all know, alot are totally fanatical, the NIH
stuff there gets me pissed off to no end. However, there was promise of
alot of cross-pollination of educated Linux users and developers to the
BSD areas at the Bazaar, and it certainly was not based on the presence of
the Booth Babes, but rather on the fact that we presented a united front,
and let them know the differences in a calm rational format.

Many of the sales/marketing types there were surprised at how well some of
us articulated ourselves when asked questions about BSD, OpenSales was
talking about developing for BSD's and Sun/StarOffice said they would work
on a port with some help from members of our community (still waiting to
hear from them), and some cooperation was fostered btwn OpenBSD's Mickey
Shalayeff and the Linux HP-PA Risc people (Mickey is working on OpenBSD
PA-Risc).

The Linux editor from Gaming Alliance said that they want someone to do a
BSD feature on how to get Linux games working under BSD and were
interested in having some consulting on using BSD for a new project they
were working on (server wise)

I'm sure Jordan, Mike, Bill, Murray, Marc, Robert, Pat, et al. had some
very similar experiences there.

However, I jokingly berated Cybernet for not showing thier BSD based
products, and as punishment they were forced to wear Daemon horns and
FreeBSD pins ;)

-Pat

__

Pat Lynch						lynch@rush.net
							lynch@bsdunix.net
							lynch@unix.sh
							lynch@blowfi.sh
Systems Administrator					Rush Networking