Date:      Tue, 27 Nov 2001 16:10:22 -0700
From:      Sean LeBlanc <seanleblanc@home.com>
To:        FreeBSD <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Email Etiquette on this list

On 11-27 23:37, Nils Holland wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Nov 2001, Scott Gerhardt wrote:
>
> > - Replies are posted at the _TOP_  of the message; saves scrolling when
> > following a long thread and keeps everything is reverse chronological order.

> Well, I actually disagree with this point. I do not like to put my replies
> *above* the original messages. Instead, I use to cut the piece of the
> original message to which I am replying to reasonable size and write my
> reply below it (just as I did right now). I find this scheme useful, since
> if there are multiple points in any given message to which I would like to
> say something, the whole thing looks more like a conversation (question 1
> followed by answer 1, question 2 followed by answer 2, etc) and anybody
> not familiar with the original message still knows easily what exactly is
> going on.

Couldn't agree more with this. I really dislike reading top posters' stuff.
It's too distracting, esp. when others in the thread followed more
traditional email/Usenet protocol, and not MS Outlook's. It's also easier to
make out the attribs. But this is, of course, a holy war - I've seen many
diatribes going back and forth about this on a linux newsgroup just
recently...it may *still* be going on, for all I know. :) It probably has
more to do with the first style one saw or used than the actual technical
merits...much like Strousoup(sp?) bracing style vs. traditional C bracing
style in coding of C/C++/Java/other C-like languages. Anyway, the other
points of Scott's I agree with.

--
Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc@home.com Yahoo:seanleblancathome
ICQ:138565743 MSN:seanleblancathome AIM:sleblancathome