Date:      Fri, 27 Oct 2000 08:11:28 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <charon@urania.westgate.gr>
Cc:        drewt@writeme.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: KDE 2

Giorgos Keramidas wrote:

> Drew Tomlinson <drewt@writeme.com> wrote:
> >
> > What is the proper procedure for removing installed software from FBSD?  I'm
> > sure it goes beyond just deleting the files from the hard drive.  I want to
> > clean KDE 1.9x, XF86 3.3.6, and XF86 4.? from my system.  I've got things
> > screwed up and wish to start over.
>
> If you have installed from the ports, then the port's "deinstall" target
> should take care of this automatically for you.  You might have to check
> for custom configuration files in your users' HOME dirs, after you
> remove the port.

I find the deinstall/reinstall leaves entries in the database and a
pkg_delete is really required. With the ports, it removes the
../work/files and that really cleans things up. I eventually did a
"pkg_info | grep kde" and removed all of the pre-version 2 installs.

I hadn't thought about the $HOME/.kde's and wonder if some of my weird
structure is due to stuff left behind.

> If you compile things by yourself, then things are a bit more difficult.

I ended up going down the dependancy list in kde-2.0 and locating and
then building each port on its own. That got me around some of the
problems.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart