Date:      Sun, 10 Aug 1997 14:08:33 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Eivind Eklund <perhaps@yes.no>
To:        Adrian Chadd <adrian@obiwan.psinet.net.au>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: uunet vs. internet

> On Sun, 10 Aug 1997, Joel Ray Holveck wrote:
>
> > Well, the Internet has changed from its humble beginnings as the
> > old UUCP net, and ARPANET.  Used to it was ham radio, then BBS's, then
> > the net.  What bastions for hobbyists are there now, something where
> > the popularity doesn't make me sick after fifteen minutes of use?
>
> Being someone who entered the BBS scene around Oct '95, I watched the
> whole BBS thing in Western Australia shrivel up and die. Which was a sad
> thing, cause I liked BBS's.
>
> I was actually tossing up whether to setup an IPv6 tunnel network between
> local Perth ISPs, then linking the "network" to somewhere in the eastern
> states. Anyone else on here game? Even an IPIP tunnel with our own network
> would be really funky.

Any reason to go for these instead of PPP over TCP/IP, which we
already have support for?  PPP over TCP over SSH, and you have a VPN
there and then.  (Well, perhaps you'd want to add name-resolving...)

The process of booting a separate Usenet has started.    Perhaps it is
the time for a new Internet?  :-)

Eivind.