Date:      Sat, 18 May 2002 19:16:23 +0200
From:      Jens Rehsack <rehsack@liwing.de>
To:        rising-star@runbox.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dual Homed Hosts

rising-star@runbox.com wrote:

> Dear Sir, Madam,
> Firstly I apologise if this is not the right email address for asking questions.
>
> I have two servers at home connected via a cross-over cable. One is supposed to be
> a web server and thus connected to the outside world. The second a database server
> not visible to the outside world.

It's one way to do it. Another way would be having a private network (f.e. 10.x.x.x)
on both servers, and set an public address as alias to the network card of the web-server.
To do this, add a line similar to
ifconfig_lo0_alias0="inet 127.0.0.254 netmask 0xffffffff" # sample alias entry
to you /etc/rc.conf

> How do I connect these two boxes together so that they can talk to one another?

Put 'em into the same network as described above. It's IMHO not possible to attack
private addresses over the internet.

Jens

> I am a newbie and have not understood the various Dual Homed Hosts examples and ifconfig.
>
> Is there simpler way using the hosts/networks or rc.conf files?
>
> Regards,
> Ajay Sharma

L     i  W     W     W  i                 Jens Rehsack
L        W     W     W
L     i   W   W W   W   i  nnn    gggg    LiWing IT-Services
L     i    W W   W W    i  n  n  g   g
LLLL  i     W     W     i  n  n  g   g    Friesenstraße 2
                                  gggg    06112 Halle
                                 g   g
Tel.:  +49 - 3 45 - 5 17 05 91    ggg     e-Mail: <rehsack@liwing.de>
Fax:   +49 - 3 45 - 5 17 05 92            http://www.liwing.de/