Date:      Wed, 4 Oct 95 09:01 PDT
From:      pete@puffin.pelican.com (Pete Carah)
To:        barcley@fs.cei.net
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: multi port modems

In article <199510040221.VAA31474@major.cei.net> you write:
>I am putting together a system set up to provide internet services and
>am looking for an mulitport modem board and modems which work well in
>this environment which work well with freeBSD, what would you suggest
>for a good strong system?

You apparently write on a mac :-)  It is nice to format with carriage
returns so those who see this on vt100's don't lose most of the paragraph.

One ISP friend that I work with is using one of the 16 modem USR
chassis; it works fine but costs a bunch.  It isn't modular and the
configuration switches work in groups of 8 rather than individually...
As far as I know the nvram is individual but I haven't read the manual in
detail for that since we are using them all for dial-in and just lock them in
dumb mode from the dip switches.

My other ISP friend is just using loose modems and has a mix of
Practical Peripherals, USR and Hayes...

There are incompatibility problems between various non-Rockwell modems
(USR, Motorola and Telebit primarily) and Rockwell ones (most others).
These occur even at 14.4k but are sometimes very bad (like you can't
even connect) at 28k.

The USR ones connect best with Telebits; older rockwell modems get *lots*
of V.42 packet loss talking with Telebits at 14.4k.  (like my uucp G
throughput was 700cps with an old viva and 1500 with the USR 28k, both
with 14.4k carrier, talking to the same Worldblazer on a very local phone
connection).

Overall my *current* preference is with USR.  The sportsters can have
thermal problems and can't be operated on their side with the switch down,
at least without a fan.  I do, however, run one continuously with good
success.

-- Pete