Date:      Tue, 27 Jun 2000 07:45:31 +0200
From:      Gary Jennejohn <garyj@peedub.muc.de>
To:        Gerald Heinig <Gerald.Heinig@post.rwth-aachen.de>
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: TA PCI passive card questions

Gerald Heinig writes:
>Gary Jennejohn wrote:
[big snip]

>> There are some CCD chips supported in the next beta releasae. Don't
>> know when that will be.
>>
>> The driver for the HFC-S PCI chip is in a rather incomplete state
>> right now. Obviously, it's a PCI based card. If you have one of
>> those then you might also have this chip.
>
>The chip is the HFC-S PCI. Hellmuth said he was keen on a driver being =

availab
>le for the next release.

[snip]

>> I started the driver and got it fairly far along, but I never
>> finished it. I sent Hellmuth what I had, but he didn't have time
>> to finish it. If you're interested, I could send you what I have.
>
>Cool. I'd definitely be interested.
>
>> But you have to develop in the context of the next release, which is
>> *completely* different from the old stuff.
>
>*sigh*. So I _will_ have to upgrade to 4.0 pronto, then? I was sort of =

hoping
>I'd get round that, but ah, what the
>heck.... :-)

Actually, -current would be better, but 4.0 has the newbus stuff, so
it would be OK.

The driver already probes and attaches the card fine, so you don't need
to worry about that. What's missing is the dirty stuff - managing the
FIFOs and tracking the state of the S0 bus (ISDN phases). The chip
does not fit at all into the existing i4b way of doing things, so the
driver has to do all the gory phase tracking itself.

What I meant with "context of the next release" was that Hellmuth has
split up the way that the layers interact. The new stuff is only in
the developer's release of the code. You'd have to get ahold of that
(not hard) and familiarize yourself with it before you could finish
the driver off. Would take a while to get up to speed.

I know that Hellmuth really wants to get this driver in before he
makes the next release since the CCD chips are used on so many newer,
inexpensive cards now. And they're pretty darn good chips, too.

I'll clean it up a little and send it to you. May be a few days.

Who knows ? Once I get started I may just finish it :)

---
Gary Jennejohn / garyj@muc.de gj@freebsd.org