Date:      Mon, 15 Jan 2001 01:14:21 +0100 (CET)
From:      Janko van Roosmalen <acs.van.roosmalen@hccnet.nl>
To:        "Mark B. Withers" <mwithers@one.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FTP install of FreeBSD

On Sun, 14 Jan 2001, Mark B. Withers wrote:

> I have a question.
>
> Has anybody done this?
>
> How does it work?
>
> Does it take a long time with a DSL connection?
>
> I've never tried it before, but sure am tempted with an older version
> of FreeBSD. Sendmail is nagging me. heh heh

If you have a small home network you also can download the files to a
computer in your network. Configure it as an ftp server and install from
there.

You can experiment as much as you want and you do not have to redownload
if something goes wrong. This way you save Internet bandwidth. You can
also install on a second machine or help a friend who isn't so lucky to
have DSL ;).

Last week I used wget to download 4.2 (everything expect packages) from a
Dutch ftp mirror with an ISDN connection. I actually did the download in 2
nightly sessions. Installation was very fast over the home internal
network (10 Mbit). No waiting for a cdrom that has to spin up to its
speed.

===Janko van Roosmalen - Vught - Netherlands===