Date:      Mon, 08 May 2000 23:53:16 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>, FreeBSD Current <current@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: rc.d startup scripts

Kris Kennaway wrote:

> On Sun, 7 May 2000, Doug Barton wrote:
>
> >       I'm going to reply to the system part of this too, replies to this
> > thread should split off to -current. I have a design in mind for a new
> > rc system that uses scripts with "start, stop, status" operators to both
> > upgrade and downgrade services, where "services" are defined as groups
> > of daemons/programs that work together. For example, "nfs" would be an
> > example of a service, which would be subdivided into client and server,
> > etc.
>
> Eivind Eklund made a prototype some time back which addressed this issue -
> you'd do well to take a look at that one first before reinventing the
> wheel :)

	Point well taken. If anyone has references to this work, or an easy
introduction to netbsd's version I'd love to look at them. I've been
hoping to carve out some time to work on this, but every time I talk
about vacation, my boss just laughs....

Doug
--
        "Live free or die"
		- State motto of my ancestral homeland, New Hampshire