Date:      Mon, 07 Dec 1998 07:46:46 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        Josh Crouse <joshcrouse@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.2.6 question

Josh Crouse wrote:

> I just finished the installation of FreeBSD 2.2.6, after the initial
> install it reboots my machine, loads and then gives me a Kernel panic
> that says, "Panic : Cannot mount root" what am i supposed to do to
> cure this problem?
> ---

See the FAQ (section 2.25, I think). This problem is explained there.

> Ok, Iv read the FreeBSD online help questions and everything the replys
> said for me to do, and none of it has worked: let me explain my
> situation.
>
> I have my HD's setup as is on my Pirmary IDE i have
> Primary Master:> 2.16gig > Non-FreeBSD drive
> Primary Slave:> 1.2gig > FreeBSD drive
> Secondary Master:> 2.4gig > Non-FreeBSD driveSlave Secondary:> Cd-rom
> thats the way i have my hd's setup, im booting into FreeBSD with a boot
> disk, when i get to the boot: prompt i type *kernel* to launch the
> kernel on my BSD drive it launches fine and when it gets done probing it
> panics.
> Panic: Cannot mount root
>
> I have no idea what im doing wrong? any suggestions?
> thanks .. Josh

  Trust the computer industry to shorten Year 2000 to Y2K. It
  was this thinking that caused the problem in the first place.

Mark Ovens, CNC Applications Engineer, Radan Computational Ltd.
Bath, Avon, England.  Sheet Metal CAD/CAM Solutions
mailto:marko@uk.radan.com    http://www.radan.com