Date:      Mon, 22 Mar 1999 19:17:07 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, Kevin Day <toasty@home.dragondata.com>, hasty@rah.star-gate.com, dm@globalserve.net, dillon@apollo.backplane.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS - Will it ever be fixed?

:3) I personally think that $25,000 would very easily be raised,
:especially when companies using FreeBSD can make targeted donations
:towards a goal that they would very clearly benefit from (nfs).  I think
:the amount that could be gathered in, say, one month will probably
:surprise everyone (I'm not trying to hold you to $25,000 here, because I
:think that might well be too small a guess).
:
:4) This wouldn't even have to be completely restricted to nfs, but it
:would have to be restricted to a very small, well defined problem set,
:of general interest.  The funds collected would have to be funnelled
:into a fund whose goals are not general, but specific to this effort.

    It isn't quite so easy.  It's one thing to raise money to hire
    a programmer familiar enough with the code to be able to fix the
    problems.  *Finding* that programmer is a whole different deal, and
    if you make a mistake that's $25K down the drain.

					    -Matt