Date:      Fri, 15 Feb 2002 07:41:26 +1030
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@eyesbeyond.com>
To:        Bill Huey <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>
Cc:        Mikhail Kruk <meshko@cs.brandeis.edu>, Guerry Semones <gsemones@treenleaf.com>, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Need info for compiling JDK1.3.1 on FreeBSD with Native Threads

On Thu, Feb 14, 2002 at 11:49:25AM -0800, Bill Huey wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 14, 2002 at 02:14:08PM -0500, Mikhail Kruk wrote:
> > > The JVM environment should be the program driving the coexisting
> > > program.
> > >
> > > I mean, what did you expect ? ;-)
> >
> > Wait, what he is trying to do should be compltely possible and a legal
> > thing to do. Linux and Solaris allow that. If JNI support works this
> > should be possible. Maybe he just needs native threads?
>
> Is it ?
>
> Well, this is the first I've heard of it. Is this how the plugin works
> in Netscape and other programs ?

Yes.  Its also the method for doing things like embedding Java into PHP.
This isn't really much different conceptually from embedding a Perl
interpreter, but it does mean that the program needs to play nice with
the JVM.

> Uh, you can't really call the normal IO functions, read()/write(), etc...
> without it piping through the thread system in some way. If it's green threads,
> then any function like that the coexistent program uses must go through
> that layer of thread-managed wrapped functions and not the normal functions
> in libc, etc... I'm not sure of the linking conventions off hand so I don't
> know how to export those wrapped functions to a companion program.

The problem could be in a number of areas.  I think we need more
information, e.g. does the program also attempt to use pthreads or the
like?

--
Greg Lewis                            Email : glewis@eyesbeyond.com
Eyes Beyond                           Web   : http://www.eyesbeyond.com