Date:      Sun, 18 Nov 2001 16:42:42 -0800
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
To:        Mike Semcheski <jimmyjump77@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: natd failed to write packet back

On Sun, Nov 18, 2001 at 07:22:34PM -0500, Mike Semcheski wrote:
> My question is this:
> What is causing this message to occur so often?

A packet diverted to natd(8) is dropped by a later rule in the
firewall.

> What is NATD trying to do
> that IPFW is preventing?

Write packets that get dropped later in the firewall.

> How can I stop it from cutting in and annoying me
> when I am in the console?

Change syslog.conf(5) accordingly or rearrange your firewall rules so
that the offending packets are dropped _before_ they go through
natd(8).

Use the -v option of natd(8) and the 'log' ipfw(8) rule entry to
figure out what kind of traffic is making the problems. There have
also been some flame wa^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hdebates about making changes to
natd(8) to change this logging behavior.