Date:      Fri, 4 May 2001 11:43:13 -0500
From:      Lucas Bergman <lucas@slb.to>
To:        Vicky@Vic.ky
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ftpd question.

Hi, Vicky --

> To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
> Cc: freebsd-docs@freebsd.org

Please don't do that.  Mailing -questions and another list is almost
always wrong.

> I have this on my syslog:
>
> ftpd[65051]: getpeername (/usr/libexec/ftpd): Socket is not connected
>
> What is that and how to avoid this from happening again?..

It most likely means that somebody connected to your machine on port
21, then disconnected very quickly.  By the time the ftpd daemon got
spawned and tried to lookup the source host address/port, the socket
was disconnected.  It's probably no big deal, unless it starts
happening a lot.

> I kinda worried since I heard many news about ftpd bugs which can
> give ppl a root access.

That recent bug had to do with globbing.  One can't exploit it unless
one actually sends file manipulation commands to the server, and this
log message indicates that the connection never got that far.

If this happens a lot, though, somebody may be trying something funny
unrelated to the globbing bug.  If you're feeling paranoid, give
tcpserver the -v option, and run multilog in /service/ftpd/log or
whatever.  Then, you can see if lots of half-assed connections are
coming from one address or net.

> PS: I ran ftpd not from inetd but with tcpserver and I don't run any
> process which needed inetd. A.K.A: inetd is OFF.

Good for you.  The same thing probably would have happened with inetd,
as it turns out.  Since you were using a TCP super-server (like most
do), ftpd didn't accept() the connection itself, so it had to use
getpeername() to get the source host address of the socket that the
super-server accept()'ed; it's standard operating procedure.  If
you're a Unix/C hacker, the usual Stevens books on Unix network
programming will help those last couple of sentences make sense.

> From: Vicky <vicky@vic.ky>

Nice domain name.

Lucas