Date:      Mon, 24 Jul 2000 09:46:38 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@looksharp.net>
To:        sos@freebsd.org
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Intel i815 w/ ICH using ata driver

I am looking to verify support for the Intel 82801AA I/O Controller Hub
present in the Intel i815 chipset before I purchase a board using said
chipset.  It appears to be exactly the same ICH chip used in the i810
which the CVS logs say has been supported since Mon Jan 17 2:04:17 2000
UTC.  This is evidenced by the following URLs:

http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets/815/
http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets/810/

This chipset is never specifically mentioned in CVS nor has it turned up
in the mailing list archives of -questions, -stable, or -hardware.  I
just wanted to clarify support of it before making a purchasing decision
and Cced the -stable list to make sure this made it into the archives
for future inquiries.

It would seem to be that the only possible problem would be that Intel
has changed the PCI identifier between chipset revisions, but if that is
so I can easily boot it from a SCSI hard drive, grab the new ID, and
submit a patch to ata-all.c's ata_pci_match().

Brandon D. Valentine
bandix at looksharp.net  |  bandix at structbio.vanderbilt.edu
"Truth suffers from too much analysis." -- Ancient Fremen Saying