Date:      Sat, 21 Dec 2002 10:56:21 +0100
From:      =?iso-8859-1?Q?J=F6rg=20Meyer?= <Joerg-M@web.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   local copies of packages during their installation

Hello,

I've been experimenting with FreeBSD since the day
day before yesterday. Coming from the MS-world I am very
impressed already.

I installed the system from a CD created from the Mini-Iso-Image.
Installing packages with pkg_add -r I would like to have local
copies of the downloaded tarball in order to create an adapted
CD with the packages I really need (just for the case of a new-
or re-installation).
Of course, all the depending package-tarballs should be download
as well - otherwise I could also ftp them manually.
Furthermore it would be really nice if the directory structure of
the FTP-Server was duplicated locally as well.

I know (from experimenting) that make package within the ports collection
can archieve something similar (packages are created under /usr/ports/packages
if existent). But following this strategy in my opinion has 3 major disadvantages:
1) Compiling packages like XFree86-4 takes quite a long time on my machnine.
2) It is impossible to create a package without installing it.
In case of the package is installed already make returns an error
telling me to deinstall the package first.
3) dependencies are not considered.
make package in /usr/math/mupad only creates a mupad-package
but no package for linux_base which is necessary for mupad.

Does anyone know a solution to this problem?
Don't you make local copies of packages you install(ed)?
Thanks for each advice in advance.

Yours,
Joerg Meyer