Date:      Sat, 19 Aug 2000 13:12:17 -0400
From:      "Richard E. Hawkins" <reh18@psu.edu>
To:        Marc van Woerkom <marc.vanwoerkom@science-factory.com>
Cc:        pillsy@brown.edu, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FORTRAN?

Marc van Woerkom wrote:

> > Internet. One of the reasons I'm considering the change is that web
> > site lists a native FORTRAN compiler as one of the new features in
> > 4.x. Since FORTRAN is one of those things that I occasionally have a
> > need for, and f2c isn't terribly efficient compared to native code, I
> > was wondering if anybody has more info about this.

> The GNU Fortran frontend (g77) is part of the newer GNU compiler
> (formerly known as EGCS) together with C, C++, Objective C, javac,
> guave (?) ...
> So it is possibly not listed as g77 anymore in the ports.

Note that g77 is very limited in what it provides.  It's a nearly
complete subset of f77, but common extensions are generally
missing--including matrix operations that I never realized even *were*
extensions, but had assumed were part of f66 . . .

I'd like to tell you whether or not absofts f95 for linux works under
freebsd, but you'll need to wait until I get my new machine in a couple
of months :)

hawk