Date:      Tue, 4 Mar 2003 16:04:49 +0100
From:      Thomas Stratmann <strattbo@stud.physik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   kern.fallback_elf_brand defunct? and e2fsprogs

Hi,

to a completely different topic:

What's the correct mnemonics for the kern.fallback_elf_brand sysctl?
Is is 'when I encounter an ELF not branded for FreeBSD, treat it as
<argument to sysctl>-branded'?
Please correct me if I (and probably others) am getting this wrong!

I use sysctl kern.fallback_elf_brand=3 and try to launch a linux
bash but get an error message I currently cannot reproduce, something
like 'Unknown ELF brand '0'. Abort trap.' Is this behaviour ok?

By the way: I just had a crash as you could read in my previous mail and
now need to fsck my ext2fs partition. This gives me the same problem as
in creating it (I had to get a one-floppy linux distro to be able to
create the fs): both mke2fs and fsck.ext2 do one-byte (!) reads on the
special file which of course is not supported:

dscheck(#ad/0x30002): b_bcount 1 is not on a sector boundary (ssize 512)

Has anyone successfully worked with the e2fsprogs port? Is it broken? Or
DOES linux fs software do byte reads? (Are linux people nuts?)

Help appreciated. I'm currently stuck.

Cheers
Thomas Stratmann