Date:      Tue, 19 Oct 1999 21:21:18 +1000
From:      jonathan michaels <jon@caamora.com.au>
To:        Martin M <lalala@globalserve.net>, freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cron

>     Why is it called a "CRON" job?  I've noticed that there is a reason for
> just about every name in UNIX, but I still fail to see what Conan the
> barbarian's warrior god has to do with anything...

its based on the old greek/latin ergo roman god chronus got of
time (basically) abd because cron looks after the systems
jobing on a time based timetable ergo the anliisisation is cron

this is teh very cut down version of the why it is so routine

but i'm sure some one like david wolfskil will be able to
provide a more accurate and fleshed out version.

> I didn't know Cimmerians even used computers...

if you go back in history and know what the word computer used
to mean, than yes that group of people imaginary orother wise
did use computers.

from memory, the word computer is  accurate emtomologically
derived in teh oxford shorter dictionary, the 25 pound one
with thinner than ricepaper pages and about 8 inches thick.

again the short version, is that computers were people who
manually did the calulations for insurance, acutarial
calulations, sales tax etc  etc etc they really cam into thier
own during the british empire  days when navy'd need accurate
calulation to make maps and merchants needed tables fro
inurance premiums based on probability of  certain outcomes.
thes computers could perform vastly difficult calulation in
thier heads at the blink of an eye .. much fast more accurate
than we could today withthe best handheld calulators that hp
could build.

anyway,some thing to start you on your library search, just go
to you library and get any books about british admiralty
history and lookup computer who they were and what they did for
a living.

cheers

jonathan