Date:      Thu, 22 Jul 2004 21:56:00 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        pradeep reddy punnam <prady_p@yahoo.com>
Cc:        Joseph M Link <freebsd@joelink.net>
Subject:   Re: regarding  timeout/untimeout  kernel functions

In the last episode (Jul 22), pradeep reddy punnam said:
> i thought of threading with select before , but i belive that if
> the number of timers to be checked increases the number of the
> threads to be maintained increses,so the process may become very
> hevy. what do u think.

Threads are very lightweight. You should be able to create hundreds of
(mostly-sleeping) threads with no problem.  You wouldn't even need to
use select; just sleep (or nanosleep).

> i think ultimatley i am going to use the above thing. but in the
> process of my search i came across the timeout kernel function
> implemenation but i can not use that ( which i belive very efficient
> implementation of timers ), which user can not able to use it , so i
> just want to discuss it .

You could also use the kqueue/kevent functions to queue up an arbitrary
number of timer events in a single process.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com