Date:      Tue, 29 Jul 1997 13:46:17 +0200
From:      Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD, APM and laptops

> > However, the most annoying problem with my configuration is that it
> > appears that APM does not work as intended, in particular: doing a
> > "suspend" causes the machine to freeze, not to enter the suspend
> > state, even if I've powered down both PCMCIA cards before doing the
> > suspend.
> >
> > Is this a known problem?
>
> APM BIOSsen in general are a known problem.  8(

For what it's worth, FreeBSD says the following during boot about
APM:

apm0 on isa
apm: found APM BIOS version 1.1

It's a Dell Latitude XPi.  FWIW, I had NetBSD installed prior to
installing FreeBSD on this laptop, and there suspending worked
just fine (modulo PCMCIA issues).

> Are you enabling APM first, with 'apmconf -e'?

No.  Do I need to?  I didn't need to do that when my laptop ran
NetBSD, and foolishly (?) I assumed I didn't have to fiddle
anything extra to enable power management in FreeBSD either.

It appears problematic to find the default state for the
variables apmconf provide an interface to...

Hmm, doing 'apmconf -e' may have solved at least part of my
problem.  I think I need to experiment some more before the final
conclusion, but now I have at least once managed to take the PC
into and out of the suspend state, although the behaviour appears
somewhat erratic (sometimes it "auto-resumes" after about a
minute...).

> How are you trying to suspend, with 'zzz', or 'apmconf -z', or by
> closing the lid?

Before I did 'apmconf -e', zzz, pressing the "suspend" function
key or closing the lid all have the same effect -- the machine
froze.

> > On which mailing lists should I listen to to be aware of any
> > progress on solving this problem?  (I get enough mail as it is, so
> > volume is of concern.)
>
> The -mobile list is quiet, and there would definitely be traffic there
> in the case of any results.

Ok, sounds like I need to subscribe there.

Thanks!

- Håvard