Date:      Wed, 28 Nov 2001 00:05:50 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: this spam

Hello,

For fun I just did a google search for
"get rich quick"

Google found "about 800,000" pages in 0.8 seconds.

So spammers, I already know where to look :)

I didn't try "porno" or "refugee needs bank account to
move $100,000,000 from war-ravaged homeland" but I
don't doubt I will find just a few references if I did.

I am not entirely sure it is the job of an ISP to filter
out spam. On the other hand if they end up with pissed-off
or offended customers, or they are a small outfit with
limited resources they may want to. I know my ISP will shut
you down in 5 minutes if they see you are an open-relay.

There are tools to help limit spam, maybe in an imperfect
world that is the best we can do. Use blacklists, have mail
reject rules in your MTA, use procmail, make sure you cannot
be used as a relay.

I know some people think this is OT for this kind of list,
but it is a problem for anyone on any list, and I feel it is
legitimate to try and spread ideas on fighting this horrendous
waste of time and resources.

Anyway, an outfit called lucky.com inundates me with mail
once a week or so sent to invented user names, it is sweet
to see them in my reject mailing list report :)

--
Regards
Cliff