Date:      Thu, 25 May 1995 13:54:12 -0500
From:      Mark Tinguely <tinguely@plains.nodak.edu>
To:        albright@cisco.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        albrightson@cisco.com
Subject:   Re: multicasts

>  I have attempted to bring up vat/sd on my machine.  I am running the
>  march 22nd snapshot.  I have compiled the kernel with 'options
>  MROUTING'.  But, everytime I try to run sd, I get 'IP_ADD_MULTICAST:
>  Can't assign requested address'.

Multicast is added by default. MROUTING is used if you plan to run the
multicast router on your machine.

what ethernet card do you have? The 3Com 3C509 did not support multicast
at that release, but a patch has been ported recently. We use SMC 80x3
with multicast at 2.0-950210 and beyond snapshots.

>  One of the multicast wizards here said my kernel doesn't have
>  multicast support.  And if I sniff the wire, no igmp join messages are
>  sent.

if it is not the ethernet card, another common reason multicast does not
work is because the kernel and the binaries are not at the same shapshot.
We have so many snapshots running here, I have several times pulled on
a new kernel onto an older binary distribution machine and saw the multicast
error.

The last release I dared to run VAT on (and special kernel source patches
are required) is the 2.0-950210, because the 2.0-950322 release did some
sound configuration changes. The change may be only cosmetic, but I have so
far been cautious to upgrade those machines.

--mark.