Date:      Thu, 4 Apr 1996 23:26:17 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org, ishort@pcm.co.za
Subject:   Re: sio2: 65 events for device with no tp

>What is this message?

>I have just compiled a kernel with support for an ARNET 8 port serial
>card with 8 16450 ports in it.

The device interrupted (although device interrupts are supposed to be
disabled) before any of the ports were opened.  Probably after they
were configured.  The message should go away after the ports have
been opened at least ones.  The driver won't know what to do with the
interrupts, but it will know they aren't for it, and it will quietly
ignore them.  Try dummy opens (stty -f /dev/ttyd[0-9]).

>After having removed the reference to IRQ 7 on the lpt line I am
>getting lots of stray IRQ7 messages. Does this mean that the card is
>generatingIRQ's even with nothing connected to it and the OS does not
>know what to do with them?

This can be caused by garbage signals on any IRQ line.  Perhaps it is
caused by the same things as the extra serial interrupts.  Using IRQ7 for
the lpt hides the problem.

Bruce