Date:      Fri, 12 Nov 1999 11:42:03 +0100
From:      sthaug@nethelp.no
To:        aj@entic.net
Cc:        ust@cert.siemens.de, mike@sentex.net, matt@BabCom.ORG, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG, jseger@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: patch for bind8 port (was: BIND NXT Bug Vulnerability)

> |Here is a patch for the port.
>
> There was also a patch4, with a minor fix to the xfer code:
>
> ftp.isc.org/isc/bind/src/8.2.2-P3/patch4

This fix is definitely not minor in the sense of "little importance".
Without this fix:

- Zones will be *stored on disk* (by named-xfer) with two SOAs, because
this is the format on the wire.

- Because they are stored on disk with two SOAs, they will be rejected
by named the next time it tries to read the zones (for instance when it
is restarted).

(Yes, we had this happen to us on a name server which is slave for
around 12.000 zones. Not a pleasant experience.)