Date:      Sun, 6 Jan 2002 14:56:58 +0200
From:      Alexey Zelkin <phantom@freebsd.org>
To:        Motoyuki Konno <motoyuki@freebsd.org>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADSUP: several locale renames were MFCed

hi,

On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 04:51:19PM +0900, Motoyuki Konno wrote:

> > I've just MFCed following several locale renames
> >
> > 1. ISO_* -> ISO*
> > 2. ru_SU* -> ru_RU*
> > 3. DIS_* -> ISO*-15
> > 4. *.EUC -> *.euc??
> > 5. *.ASCII -> *.US-ASCII
> >
> > In case if you'll experience any problems in locale
> > specific areas please notice me immidiately.
>
>   Many ports assumes that FreeBSD uses *.EUC locale name.
> For example, X applications stores locale-specific resource
> files under /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/[locale name]/.  Currently,
> many ports install their Japanese locale resource files
> under /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/ja_JP.EUC/.  We must fix these ports.

I am not expert in X11 locale, but quick look on half-year old
setup XFree86-4.1.0's X11R6/lib/X11/locale/locale.aliases shown
that ja_JP.eucJP is prefered name and ja_JP.EUC is preserved
there for compatibility.

As conclusion I may suggest to fix ports. But since many
things named ja_JP.EUC are placed to distfiles (as far as I could
see from quick look to your list) and these ports are supposed
to be usable at pre-4.5 -STABLE also I would suggest to setup
compability (symbolic?) link between old EUC and new eucXX directories/files.

Should it be enough to satisfy everybody ?

NOTE: Don't do it now, please because if I get at least few requests
to backout *EUC to *euc* rename it will be backed out.